Monday, 22 April 2013

KCW Day 1

I'd already started cutting patterns and fabric but last night I had to put all my fabrics together just to get the hilarious "before" shot. Something about having a big pile of fabric, especially when I have a plan for all of it, makes me a little giddy and a little panicky all at once.

On the one hand I love having new pieces I've made go into my kids closets, there is nothing better than seeing them come out in the morning having chosen to wear something homemade (of course there is always the other side of that coin....I'm just choosing to pretend that doesn't happpen this week.) There is also the pressure that comes with having committed to all of these projects and the time it really takes to get from this pile to completed pieces. Either we go!

Day 1, Project1 Complete!

This little dress & diaper cover set are a gift for a little girl we know. I fell in love with the simplicity of this sundress pattern when I found it way back when but this was the first time I've actually sewn it.

I paired it with a diaper cover using this tutorial from Dana at MADE. Because I chose to put the bias tape on the diaper cover (should've just done a ruffle...) the diaper cover took me about 3x longer than the dress. In the end I'm happy with the result, I think it's a cute, versatile summer set that can work as separates and grow with baby. I am looking forward to putting together a dress for my 4 year old soon!

And looking at the little brand & size tags...just makes me happy!

Happy sewing!