Wednesday, 14 August 2013

A skirt from scraps

I will admit to being totally surprised by the summer Kids Clothing Week. I went looking for the dates but of course it was planned for the week we were away camping, not too conducive to sewing for an hour each day. To make matters worse, I only found the dates the week before the challenge was to start. So I decided I would just sew with what I had on hand and I would start early to that over the course of 3 weeks, in between summer activities I should cover the 7+ hours of sewing.

For my first project I pulled out some left over corduroy fabrics, I'd used the solid for a spring coat a year or so ago and the floral had been a dress the previous winter. Since I didn't have a lot of either fabric I had to hunt down a pattern with judicious fabric use. The winning pattern: The Milkmaid Skirt. I loved that it wasn't design to be flowy or twirly, since neither of those would work with the corduroy and I could blend the fabrics so I'd have enough.

I love the pocket detail:

 A little surprise inside the pocket:  

 And of course the back.

Overall I was very pleased with how the skirt turned out, it's practical for school this fall, it's something she really doesn't have much have for fall and best of all it's all made of scrap fabric making it an amazing deal!

Linking up at:

 Southern Lovely